Oxcarbazepine Tablet (oxcarbazepine trileptal) Information
OXCARBAZEPINE - ORAL (ox-kar-BAY-zih-peen)
What is Oxcarbazepine and for what Oxcarbazepine is used?
Oxcarbazepine is related to carbamazepine, and is also used by specialists as a mood stabiliser for treating people with the psychiatric illness, bipolar affective disorder (manic depression).
Oxcarbazepine should not be used to treat children whose symptoms may be caused by stress or a psychiatric disorder.
Oxcarbazepine should not be used to combat fatigue or to replace rest.
Oxcarbazepine helps reduce the frequency of partial epileptic seizures, a form of epilepsy in which neural disturbances are limited to a specific region of the brain and the victim remains conscious throughout the attack.
How to Take Oxcarbazepine
Take Oxcarbazepine exactly as prescribed by health care provider.
Swallow the capsules with a drink of water. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on your prescriber's advice.
Stopping the medicine suddenly may cause your seizures to return or to occur more often. Your doctor may want you to gradually reduce the amount of oxcarbazepine you are taking before stopping completely.
What are the Side Effects of Oxcarbazepine -
Like other medicines,
Oxcarbazepine can cause side effects.
Some of the more common side effects of Oxcarbazepine include
- an allergic reaction
- difficulty breathing
- closing of your throat
- swelling of your lips, tongue, or face; or hives
- nausea, general discomfort
- headache, extreme drowsiness, or confusion
- difficulty with concentration, speech, or language
- excessive sleepiness or fatigue
Side effects of Oxcarbazepine Drug that usually do not require medical attention (report to your prescriber or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- pain or burning while urinating
- pain or tenderness around eyes or cheekbones
- poor control in body movements
- problems with coordination
- shaking or trembling of arms, legs, hands, and feet
- shortness of breath
- skin rash
- stuffy or runny nose
- tightness in chest
- trouble in walking
- troubled breathing
- unusual feelings
- unusual tiredness or weakness
Oxcarbazepine intraction with other drugs:
Tell your prescriber or health care professional: about all other medicines you are taking including non-prescription medicines; if you are a frequent user of drinks with caffeine or alcohol; if you smoke; or if you use illegal drugs. These can affect the way your medicine works. Check with your health care professional before stopping or starting any of your medicines.
Warnings and precautions before taking Oxcarbazepine :
- Oxcarbazepine capsule must not be used during pregnancy as it may cause harmful side effects to the unborn child. Seek medical advice from your doctor.
- Talk with your physician or pharmacist if you are taking other medications along with Oxcarbazepine.
- Breast Feeding - Mothers who are taking Oxcarbazepine and who wish to breast-feed should discuss this with their doctor.
- Patients should be warned that the effects of other drugs acting on the central nervous system, such as alcohol, barbiturates and other CNS depressants, may be potentiated by Oxcarbazepine.
- Do not drink alcohol while taking Oxcarbazepine. Alcohol may increase drowsiness caused by Oxcarbazepine. It may also increase the risk of seizures.
- Stopping the medicine suddenly may cause your seizures to return or to occur more often. Your doctor may want you to gradually reduce the amount of oxcarbazepine you are taking before stopping completely.
- The safety and efficay of this medicine have not been studied in children and adolescents, hence it is not recommended for use in these age groups.
What if Overdose of Oxcarbazepine ?
If you think you or anyone else taken overdose of Oxcarbazepine, immediately telephone your doctor or contact your local or regional Poisons Information Centre Seek medical attention immediately.
You may need urgent medical attention.
What if Missed Dose of Oxcarbazepine?
If you miss a dose of Oxcarbazepine medicine and you remember within an hour or so, take the dose immediately. If you do not remember until later, skip the dose you missed and go back to your regular schedule. Do not double doses.
Storage Conditions for Oxcarbazepine:
Oxcarbazepine should be stored below 86°F (30°C) in a tight, light resistant container. Keep the medication away from the children.
Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
TO ACCESS OUR MEDICAL DIRECTORY, CLICK ON THE FIRST LETTER OF THE DRUG NAME:
A || B || C || D || E || F || G || H || I || J || K || L || M || N || O || P || Q || R || S || T || U || V || W || X || Y || Z
Please Note: The medical information here is presented for education, background reading and general interest. The DiseasesAtoZ is not a diagnostic or clinical decision-making tool.
Please consult your own licensed physician regarding diagnosis and treatment of any medical condition!
Content is not asserted complete or error free.