Atomoxetine Drug Information
GENERIC NAME: atomoxetine
BRAND NAME: Strattera
What is Atomoxetine and for what Atomoxetine is used?
Atomoxetine is the first ADHD medication to avoid classification as a controlled substance (a drug with potential for abuse). It is thought to work by boosting levels of norepinephrine, one of the brain chemicals responsible for regulating activity. Atomoxetine is prescribed for children and adults.
How to Take Atomoxetine (Strattera)
Take Atomoxetine exactly as prescribed by health care provider.
Swallow the capsules with a drink of water. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on your prescriber's advice.
Atomoxetine (Strattera) and Alcohol
Atomoxetine (Strattera) does not appear to alter the effects of alcohol.
What are the Side Effects of Atomoxetine (Strattera)
Like other medicines,
Atomoxetine can cause side effects.
Some of the more common side effects of Atomoxetine include
- dry mouth
- decreased appetite
- problems sleeping
- sexual side effects
- problems urinating
- menstrual cramps
Atomoxetine intraction with other drugs:
Tell your prescriber or health care professional: about all other medicines you are taking including non-prescription medicines; if you are a frequent user of drinks with caffeine or alcohol; if you smoke; or if you use illegal drugs. These can affect the way your medicine works. Check with your health care professional before stopping or starting any of your medicines.
Warnings and precautions before taking Atomoxetine :
- Atomoxetine capsule must not be used during pregnancy as it may cause harmful side effects to the unborn child. Seek medical advice from your doctor.
- Talk with your physician or pharmacist if you are taking other medications along with Atomoxetine .
- It is important that you let your doctor know about any other medication you are taking, or condition you may have, so that they can consider this when prescribing antidepressants for you.
- On the other hand, Strattera can also cause an attack of low blood pressure when you first stand up. Use it with caution if you have a condition, such as severe dehydration, that can cause low blood pressure.
- Breast Feeding - Mothers who are taking Atomoxetine and who wish to breast-feed should discuss this with their doctor.
- Do not drink alcohol while taking Atomoxetine . Alcohol may increase drowsiness caused by Atomoxetine . It may also increase the risk of seizures.
- The safety and efficay of this medicine have not been studied in children and adolescents, hence it is not recommended for use in these age groups.
What if Overdose of Atomoxetine ?
If you think you or anyone else taken overdose of Atomoxetine , immediately telephone your doctor or contact your local or regional Poisons Information Centre Seek medical attention immediately.
You may need urgent medical attention.
What if Missed Dose of Atomoxetine ?
If you miss a dose of Atomoxetine medicine and you remember within an hour or so, take the dose immediately. If you do not remember until later, skip the dose you missed and go back to your regular schedule. Do not double doses.
Storage Conditions for Atomoxetine :
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date. Keep the medication away from the children.
TO ACCESS OUR MEDICAL DIRECTORY, CLICK ON THE FIRST LETTER OF THE DRUG NAME:
A || B || C || D || E || F || G || H || I || J || K || L || M || N || O || P || Q || R || S || T || U || V || W || X || Y || Z
Please Note: The medical information here is presented for education, background reading and general interest. The DiseasesAtoZ is not a diagnostic or clinical decision-making tool.
Please consult your own licensed physician regarding diagnosis and treatment of any medical condition!
Content is not asserted complete or error free.