Lung Health - Article on Lung Health
Breath is life. Breathing is a constant process. Healthy lungs
are indispensable for health. Unfortunately, there is air
pollution caused by overpopulation, lack of cleanliness, use
of auto vehicles, lack of parks, trees and fuel emission from
Lung and respiratory problems are a major cause of disease
The following recommendations for lung health can help to
eliminate such disease.
Hints for healthy lungs
1. Vigorous exercise and activity in the fresh open air
improves lung health.
2. Straight sitting and standing posture is useful for lungs.
3. Deep breathing exercises help in improving lung
function. With mouth shut, inhale pure fresh air slowly
through the nose as much as possible, and then exhale
the air slowly. This exercise may be repeated a number of
times, say 10 or more. This exercise may be done in the
morning and evening when the stomach is empty. This is
also useful in removing obstruction in breathing.
4. Lungs should be protected from frequent cold and kept
clean. Keep your body resistance to disease high. Avoid
exposure to 1w<\vydust, smoke, fumes and sprays. Use
prokctivc devices if your work environment requires so.
5. Adequate rest and good nutrition (particularly foods rich
in vitamins) are essential.
6. Avoid allergens that can cause respiratory trouble.
7. Do not smoke. Smoking is a major cause of lung diseases.
8. Tuberculosis- This is a deadly disease of lungs. Besides
proper medical treatment, carrot juice is very useful. Juices
of garlic, onion and. honey are also beneficial in this
9. Lung Function Tests:
Such tests vary with age, sex & height.
A simple test of lung function is to assess the capacity of
lungs to inhalc and exhale air in one breath. If one can
take in air upto a count of 100, his lung function is good.
Vital capacity of lungs
It is the total amount of air that can be taken into the lungs
and forcibly exhaled. Vital capacity is related to health and
longevity. Low vital capacity may indicate some form of lung
restriction caused by chest or spine deformities or obesity
and sedentary life style.